6 Great Ideas for Reducing Allergens in the Bedroom
- Bed basics. Search for mattresses that contain natural materials, which are far easier on our system, such as natural latex or foams created with plant-based sources.
- Freshen the pillows. Natural latex or synthetic pillows will naturally resist dust mites but ought to still be replaced every two years to keep them fresh. To maintain healthy pillows in between purchases, freeze them overnight to kill dust mites. Yup, you heard right, freeze your pillow. Sounds strange but it works and will extend their life span.
- Dress the bed properly. Select a cotton mattress pad to protect your mattress. Opt for organic cotton or natural fiber sheets, especially those created with sustainable practices, which may also help with allergies and chemical sensitivities. This also will preserve the warranty on most mattresses, so there is an added benefit.
- Clean the air. Some air purifiers may emit ozone, a pollutant that may aggravate allergies, back into the air. Instead, use houseplants to naturally clean the air. Pick plants that thrive on neglect, like spider plants or ivy, and increase their natural metabolizing properties with a plant purifier.
- Pick your paint. Select paint with zero volatile organic compound emissions. Amongst other symptoms, it has also been says that these emissions may trigger nose and throat irritations, headaches and allergic skin reactions. Sometimes we don't think about the reprecussions that inhaling chemicals all around us have on our health.
- Keep it natural. Steer clear of fragrant sheet sprays, candles and air fresheners. These substances actually mask odors by coating the inside of your nose with a chemical, which is not something most people are aware of, but that is indeed what is happening. Try room sprays created from si-highlight--primary oils instead.
By buying a mattress created with new, much more natural materials, customers can feel confident that they are making a healthy and environmentally responsible option. It also feels good, so why not?!